Sunday, May 30, 2010

Book review-Recalcitrance authored by Mr. Anurag Kumar


There is nothing better than getting lost in a good historical novel. Recalcitrance is not just a historical novel but a journey into what we consider the first war of independence and how it affected our city Lucknow. Anurag presented his work in almost as personal in tone as a memoir.

Before I embark on some beautiful things about his work, its pertinent to mention how I got interested in his work, Recalcitrance. One day I met him in a tweet up get together at Lucknow. While he talked about his research on 1857 uprising, I was amazed to see the passion with which he spoke. Given the kind of research Anurag has done, its like a history given a fictional treatment. Then interactions with him on twitter and a few reviews in his blog generated enough curiosity in me to give it a try.

Soon, I embarked on a journey to the events through Anurag’s character as alive as to compel us to care about them and turn pages quickly to discover what happens to them next(I finished reading this book in two consecutive nights is a testimony of this fact). The story is delivered in well timed chapters interspersed with contemporary events during those turbulent times. As the story unfolds, I came across some beautiful characters, who were unique in their own way. These characters who belonged to different religions and caste, united for the cause of our motherland. At its core it is a story of ordinary human beings doing what they must to survive and restore honor of this great nation. The story starts with a highly charged atmosphere and kept me engaged with its tautly written plot throughout. Anurag wraps his story in a stony silence with a grim reminder that mission at hand (and heart too) is not over yet.

What I liked most about the novel Recalcitrance is, it is not about some superhero kind of characters. If I recollect my knowledge of 1857 uprising, it just revolves around a few kings of those times. Here is this novel which presents a different perspective through the eyes of common people, their fear, confusion, agony and then their excitement and patriotism against all odds. As one anonymous character white turbaned man puts it in an address- Many of you might not have even heard of a fire of the bullet. These people rising to the occasion to take on the mightiest empire of those days is incredible. It was a different experience altogether as if I was living those moments, those feelings through its characters. This novel has put forth a very important question- Whether history is about people or just a few individuals as it is currently made out to be? A serious thought needs to be given into this.

Anurag presents his story in a language easily comprehensible (you don’t need to keep a dictionary beside). He has deliberately used some crude hindi terms in between which add to the authenticity of his work. He has highlighted some social realities of those days normally absent in history works. He succeeds in his argument that a mere historical work would not have allowed him to say all he managed through his novel.

In the end, I would like to conclude that I have deliberately not dwelled on the story and its characters for I want the readers to go through every emotion and feeling themselves as I went through. I feel it is a must read for anyone to see the events through the eyes of ordinary common people. This book has enriched me with knowledge and understanding of my own city, Lucknow. Given the kind of enrichment this novel offered, I feel privileged to recommend it to every Lucknowite for it can change your vision about this beautiful city and every person in general who have respect for this nation, its history and its values.

Jai Hind.

Akhtar Hussain

2 comments:

  1. Aadaab. Very good review Akhtar Bhai. I too liked Anurag Bhai's novel. I want him to write a sequel to it. Have discussed with him, but probably he has another plot in mind. All my best wishes for him. And nice to see that you too have started penning down your thoughts. Would like to read more of your posts on Sheher-e-Lucknow. More power to your pen/keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am indebted to you for your kind words about my novel !

    ReplyDelete